Hardy County may be the only West Virginia county with the distinction of having 4 standing court houses. The oldest is a log structure (now covered with siding) on the south end of Chipley Lane.
In 1790s the county built the court house now referred to as the Court House Apartments on the corner of Elm and Winchester.
Just before the Civil War a Court House was built next to the Mullen Hotel. It served the county until 1914 when the present Court House was dedicated and open for business. An addition was built in 1984 and though crowded, it